What does MIELI Without Borders do?
MIELI Without Borders or MIELI ilman rajoja believes in the promotion of mental health and the prevention of mental health problems.
MIELI Without Borders:
- Shares information on well-being, mental health awareness, and how to use the existing mental health care system.
- Supports people in organizing well-being workshops and peer-support groups.
- Guides people in need, to the right services.
- Offers a like-minded community.
MIELI Without Borders is working to ensure that our community has equal access to information on
- maintaining one’s own mental health
- preventing mental health illness
- and seeking professional help
In 2020, a petition was created to champion equal opportunities and access to mental health care for all residents of Finland. This petition acted as a catalyst for the birth of MIELI Without Borders.
Additionally, last year a study was conducted by Eszter Kiss and MIELI to investigate foreign-language speakers’ attitudes and experiences toward mental health. The study showed that nearly half of the approximately 500 respondents reported that,
“There is no available information on mental health in a language they understand.”Eszter Kiss, 2021
Through this study, we also found out that,
“77% of the participants have felt that their mental health would have needed support while they
were in Finland. While 28% reported that they needed mental health support but did not reach out.”
What’s more, we have seen the obvious need for access to mental health information and support for all, and MIELI Without Borders wants to answer the call.
- Provide support through activities like; facilitator training, peer support groups, and creative workshops.
- Raise awareness about the mental health needs of foreign language speakers in Finland.
- Guide individuals to supportive communities.
- We are a community that welcomes people regardless of language skills, background, religion, ability, or status in Finland.
- We enable people to actualize their ideas.
- We provide a platform for people to become empowered, empower others, and find a community to one another.
- Educate and bring awareness on culturally appropriate mental health strategies and interventions for practitioners and service providers.
- Promote the creation of easy and accessible information on mental health and services in many languages.
- Work to destigmatize mental health and provide tools to enable community discussion.